Friday, February 15, 2008

Surreal

So, I don't know how many of you know, but I got my undergraduate degree at Northern Illinois University. It was a bit surreal when my parents called me last night to tell me about the shooting. I had classes both in Cole and DuSable halls when I was there. Of course, when I was there- we didn't really fear getting shot. We had our troubles and tradgedies. A dear friend of mine, who was a stage manager, was killed in a car accident during tech week of her show. The silence in the theatre and in the house and halls of the honors program was deafening. We mourned, and the show went on. But we didn't fear getting shot during class. How life has changed.

I guess it just means we must live our lives in such a way that we have no regrets. We must tell the people we love that we love them ALL THE TIME. We must live our lives in such a way, that we can lose it and stand before God without warning. I wonder how many of those 5 people who were killed were ready to die. It may sound morbid, but our lives are gifts. We must treasure them.

No comments: