Saturday, January 26, 2008

No clever title for this post....

Just an update....

I am up to my eyeballs with As You Like It. It's not one of my favorite Shakespeare plays...I honestly prefer the tragedies. Othello is actually my favorite, with Hamlet running a close second. The show is going ok. It's a very big show for me. Lots of full changes and trying to keep track of wigs and facial hair and jewelry....all the frou that goes with the 1960's and 12 people playing 30ish characters. It looks fine. It just doesn't really excite me. Of course, these days, not much does. So life goes on. It's funny- I don't know if it's just because we're still in rehearsal or what- but it seems that things haven't gelled yet- or it could be I just don't like this play. While I am a fan of the Shakespearian tragedy- I have been known to laugh out loud at the comedies- and it just hasn't happened yet. We do have such a short rehearsal time now- I can't imagine having to capture all the nuance of Shakespeare in such a short space of time- kudos to the actors and director for going for it. So we'll see what it all ends up like. I really love well done Shakespeare. I saw a production of Othello when I was in grad school that had Campbell Scott as Iago- he was amazing. And his dark red leather doublet was to DIE for. I happen to be a fan of Shakespeare done in non-19th/20th century periods... There's just something about all the big-frou costumes that matches the language... The stories are timeless- but it's just more fun with big clothes. It makes everything so...epic. I like the histories too, I confess that when I saw Kenneth Branagh's Henry V- his rousing monologue made me want to kill the BAD french guys who killed all the British pages (oops- spoiler alert) which was VERY bad form for war in those days.... So that's my 2 cents for the day about Shakespeare. Good old Willy.

In other news- the battle with the depression continues. There are good days and bad days. I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday- so we'll see what that turns up.

On Thursday- we take down Marty's art in West Seattle and put mine up. Because...why not mount an art show during tech? I am such a goober- I wasn't paying attention to the calendar when I said yes. I have one piece to finish and Marty will help me with all the labels and such- he's awesome and all will be well. If you want to check it out, it'll be at Hotwire West in West Seattle- the art walk is on Valentine's day.

We open AYLI on Friday and then...I will be taking the following week off. I will go in for meetings and that is IT. I've worked a lot of crazy hours- so I need a bit of time. Monday is Marty's birthday- we'll go out to dinner with friends. Tuesday, I'll clean the house and my dear friend Deanna is coming for a week- so it's nice I'll be able to take some time off to play. And then, back to normal. The next show for me is Doubt, which is a play that I really like AND I will be renting most of the costumes- so it should be relatively easy compared to the stretch of insanity that started last April. So that's the news and the update. Marty should be home soon from his first "Art Party"- hopefully it was a grand success- I look forward to hearing about it.
Th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks....

No comments: