Monday, November 05, 2007

My baby boy, Mickey....

...kind of quit eating last week. Oh sure, he'll eat as many treats as we can manage to stuff in him and will nibble at his food- but he's not really eating. He's dropped a pound in about a week. This strikes great fear into my heart. At some point, his meds for his IBD will stop working. I am praying this is not that time...but I know it's coming. The thing is- the little stinker doesn't act sick! He's all perky and happy and clingy and lovey. At least with Max, we can tell when he's not feeling good. I will hear the results of Mickey's blood test tomorrow and hopefully, we'll see what is up. I just hate to think of losing them- it's hard to believe I have had these kitties for 14 years...15 in February. I've had them pretty much my whole adult life, they have lived in 7 apartments/houses and 4 states. They drove across the country with me. They have outlasted countless boyfriends, 2 fiancees and ADORE the daddy they finally ended up with. I knew Marty was "the one" when I came home one day to find Max, the cat that most of my friends and family doesn't think exists because they have never seen him, sprawled and purring in Marty's lap. Mickey has enough personality for 9 kitties...seriously. He talks ALL THE FREAKING TIME...he carries his "baby," a grey hamburger shaped thing that I think is a mouse, around in his mouth while he is talking. He talks with his mouth full. It's hilarious. He sits on Marty's arm while he's at the computer. He'll sit with me and look adoringly and longingly at me...he's totally in love with his mommy. He has to sit at the dinner table with us, or else he will end up ON the table. He's very tough- he actually had to go to the vet a couple of weeks ago to get his matted hair shaved and was growling at the vet under sedation! That's my boy! And he was my constant companion as I spent many a happy hour this summer reading on the balcony. He likes being outside as much as I do.
I know that I will miss him like crazy. I am thankful to wake up each day to find I have one more day with my beloved feline companions. I actually pray that they will just one day go to sleep and not wake up- that they would go in peace. I just hope that these, their last days, are good ones and that they know how much they are loved. I just hope I have the strength to make potentially difficult decisions... they have been through so much this year, I don't know how much more they can handle. I don't know how much more we can handle. But they have been the biggest blessing to me while I have had them. They have kept the "lonelies" at bay.

1 comment:

becca said...

Oh, this is such a hard time- when they're sick and you're trying to keep them happy, healthy & feeling good... My kitty, Tiger, was 16 years old when we had to make that difficult decision. She was special- an answer to my prayer when I was 11. I don't know how to explain her- she was the most intelligent cat I've ever met. My last year at seminary she lived up here with my parents- her kidneys hadn't been working for about a year. She took IV injections every other day for that last year. I can't believe how patient she was through that. As long as we could afford it we were willing to help her, but it came to a point where it was obvious she was ready. She was on my mom's bed and looked at her... My mom said she just knew. She knew Tiger was saying, "I love you, but I'm ready."
My prayer is that you will have them with you as LONG as possible, for years more. And that you will know when it's time to let them go. It still hurts. I still miss Tiger, but knowing that she was ready for it to stop hurting helps.