Sunday, July 23, 2006

The church I am looking for....

So my husband did this HUUUUGEEEE blog about the kind of church he's looking for. It's pretty interesting and I am in agreement with him- but that got me thinking- what am I looking for in a church? So here goes (this is an ever changing process so bear with me....)

1. A Church where Christ is Lord. Everything points to Him always and amen.

2. A place where culture doesn't have equal footing with Christ- seriously. Been there- done that- it's idolatry. I think this push towards "relevance" can cloud issues- not that it's not important to meet people where they are- it is- but Jesus did that. It is the Holy Spirit who touches people's hearts- not how trendy we dress or how cool our music is.

3. Cool music, I know, I know- I am contradicting myself. But I love to worship. I love worship teams who worship instead of singing songs. I think if people were more concerned with meeting God and ushering in His presence than with the mix in the monitor...well, interesting things would happen.

4. A place of outreach- concerned with more than us four. Seriously- a place where people are welcome no matter what. I, for one, am thankful Jesus didn't expect me to get all shiny and happy before He let me accept Him- or before I was accepted. I am seeking a place that looks to the community and the world- not to bang them over the head with a Bible or condemn them- but to take care of them. I find it fascinating that the Seattle region seems to have a consistent heart for Africa- it's pretty amazing. I want to see missions- local and international.

5. A House of Prayer. If this is a top priority.... Wow. God shows up. 'Nuff said.

6. A place that is genuine. I won't get on my soapbox of "shiny happy christians"- but I want to be somewhere where it's ok to struggle and be in process and for other people to know it's ok too- a place of extreme grace.

7. A place of friends- to be genuine and seek God with- and to laugh a lot.

Well, that's the short list. It's out there somewhere. We'll find it. I gotta go- I am late for church.
God Bless.

No comments: